Saturday, December 3, 2011

Remembering Benji


I had a job that was my own
No other dog could be my clone!
They're all too small and scared of mice
Their bark too feeble, and way too nice

If it weren't for me out on the loose
Lookout would be full of Moose!
Those giant Lynx would have ruled the road
It's all because of me, I'm told

Good thing I always tagged along
In Miro's truck where I belonged
Gathering wood to keep us warmer still
And to supervise, well who else will?

At night my igloo was just a place
In Hana's room to give her space
But had I not been there all night
She would have lain awake with fright


No other mutt had such attire
Nor traveled the world just to acquire
In the finest woolens I wagged my tail
My coat collection is not for sale!


I would have stayed with them forever
And listened when they said I'm clever
But after 15 years of total bliss
Just one more day of work I'd miss

Lookout Road may have some trouble
No dog can help, not even my double!
But I'm watching now and all is fine
The credit, after all, is mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Benji Struss was, without a doubt, the biggest small dog at Lac Le Jeune. He had a great spirit, never tired, and was always full of adventure. He put smiles on our faces for 15 years. We will all miss him. xxxooo

Photos by Hana Struss
Poem by Sylvia Currie



1 comment:

Jenny said...

Great tribute to a little dog with a lot of personality!